Week 7

 

Summary:

This week I learned about Lean Startup and Business Model Canvas.  I also learned about the differences between Nonprofit Organizations, Social Businesses, and Corporate Social Responsibility. 

Response to a video:

This week was the presentations on our social innovation organizations.  I learned the most from the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) video on Burt’s Bees.  I do not think that I really understood what practicing CSR in a company really meant prior to this week.  Really, it seems to me that any company can be conscious of their impact on social, economic, and environmental issues.  I had not thought of that until I watched this presentation.  I also learned that Burt’s Bees does not just support human and honeybee health but they also give grants and donate money to nonprofit organizations, thus growing their business in a way where they are able to give back to society in monetary means.  This presentation helped me put CSR companies in a category next to that of Nonprofit organizations; a category that I held high above all other organizations. 

Weekly prompt:  How can sharpening your business skills help you help others? What skills are most important?

In the Business Model Canvas, I learned the importance of key partners.  Not only are organizations helping them, but the key partners are helping the organization as well.  The key partners share what they have learned with the organization, thus sharpening their business skills.  I believe learning from key partners is one of the most important skills that can be had; that of validating learning.  This leads to the organization having a more confident approach in trying something new.  Since they already know their key partners went in a certain direction and were successful, the organization can be assured that they will be successful as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Week 11

Week 8